Hurray! The bike is finally running. Spare Parts finished the wiring for me. Along with a few other odds and ends, there is officially more money spent on the bike than it will ever be worth. Seems to be the way things go. I just want to make the new headlight yellow with the screen like it was before I replaced it but that’s all the work going into it for now. There has been enough done to make it fun.
Unfortunately, I only got to ride it a couple of miles before being hospitalized for a bit. (Non bike related). If this all lasts as long as I think, I may not get to ride it again this year. Worst timing EVER!
Time for a little help from The Spare Parts Company. Philadelphia, PA.
Almost Done! Just need to get it running again…
…that’s the important part.
Forgot to post saddlebag pics. Plus it gives me something to do while I wait for its return. I may actually get to ride it!
Good News! This mild weather has given me some renewed energy. Last night I had an epiphany and realized that I was using my crimper all wrong. Once I figured it out…I added bullet ends to all of my new wires in about 30 minutes! Sheeeesh I’m a dope….but now I’m a crimping master!
If the weather holds up some, I’ll make the connections this week and hopefully be able to finally start up this thing!
Also…I stole a saddlebag idea from http://static-panic.tumblr.com/post/14979565858/finished-my-saddlebag-i-had-felt-like-something
I started a small saddlebag project by bending a bracket out of steel bar. I’ll drill and paint it later to attach to the fender bolt and upper shock bolt. I found a piece of scrap metal that’s almost a perfect fit for the inside of the bag. I still need to trim the corners and bolt it to bracket. Should look nice. May not be my final bag…but it looks cool for now.
Whacked off the rear fender a bit and chrome trimmed the edge. I’m still not sold on this cat-eye taillight. But it will do for now. Ever since someone told me that my previous taillight was nicknamed a “limp sausage” light….it’s days were numbered.
A little crazy glue. A little Bondo. A little sanding. You won’t even see it after it dries and cures!
Original levers fit on new perches.
Handlebars assembled. Now for the hard part…connecting all of the wires and cables. Then I can finally fill this thing up with gas a see how it runs!
I put the tank on the bike. Cut a template where the seat hits the tank. Masked the tank and sprayed everything hidden by the seat with a thick layer of 3M Paint Defender Soray Film. Pretty good feeling this will keep the seat from sticking to the tank. Or at least ruining the paint/clearcoat.
I went into the garage where the bike is to do a couple of things. I lifted the seat and realized the front of it had stuck to the gas tank. It must have been REALLY hot in there because it was stuck to (and ruined) the clear coat on the tank. This REALLY pissed me off because I had let the tank cure for weeks before I re-installed it.
I tried to sand a re-coat the clear…but it did not look good at all.
I ripped the chrome trim off…removed the badges and stripped the clear to redo it and decided that I did not like how imperfect the sanding was on the tank. So I decided to paint the tank the same dark metal color as the rest of the parts. I painted, applied new clear coat, put the badges back on and applied new chrome trim to the edges. It looks pretty good. But I’m hoping it didn’t lose the “specialness” of the clear-coated raw tank.
Also shown is the new taillight. It WAS chrome…but it looked like to much chrome when mounted to the fender so I painted it. I think it looks good as a continuation of the color.
Fork covers repainted, reinstalled.
Forks removed, drained (see stains on floor), disassembled, cleaned, lubed, rebuilt, refilled (ATF), reinstalled.
Front wheel and fender cleaned and reinstalled.
Front signals installed.
Waiting for new Kung-fu grips (I ripped one), new switches, new speedo and tach, and a new brakelight. I think the current one has a problem that makes it short out and keep blowing fuses.
The good news is that I think I’m done spending money!!! (Unless I run into electrical problems or need a tune-up).
Now I’ve gone and done it! After installing the headers with the new wraps I decided to remove the fork covers. I was avoiding it until “Phase 2” but I may as well cleanup and rebuild the forks and brakes….and speedometer…and tachometer…and replace the cables along with the handlebars…
Gotta do something every day… Sat on the porch and re-wrapped the header pipes to something a bit less gold/metallic than the titanium wrap. They’re still wet in this pic and should be a bit lighter in color when dry. For the record…15ft per pipe is more than enough 2” wrap. I did it without gloves so I hope I don’t have itchy hands later.